Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Live Blogging: Librarian on Location Dec. 10

2:23 p.m. Last Librarian on Location for the semester. I am in my favorite spot next to the Soda Shoppe in the main academic building. I see lots of students and faculty. I have a special sign out today that reads "Need Research Paper Help? Ask Here". Finals start tomorrow so the students should be done with their papers but we know how that goes.

2:44 p.m. I also have candy out including chocolate. Bribes never hurt.

2:52 p.m. I am going to be teaching a course in the spring semester. I am looking for interesting ways to get my students to use the library more. Hopefully I can help them become more accustomed to the library.

2:59 p.m. The biggest benefit of these ventures away from the library has been in my interaction with faculty and staff. Though our conversations are little more than chit chat and catching up, I find them valuable public relations. When students voice their frustrations with locating resources from the library to their professor it would be great if the professor has someone they can direct the student for assistance. If I had zero relations with the faculty then the students would simply be told to ask a librarian. Many students do not know who is a librarian and who is a staff person. They would prefer to have someone who they can locate specifically.

No comments: